WIfeWillCutmyNutzOff the Third

Working on something, Need advice... Post that here and we can help.
Vinster
Site Admin

WIfeWillCutmyNutzOff the Third

Unread post by Vinster »

Starting to plan the 3rd version of this PC. Starting to plan now. hoping to build in June/July

Overall planned budget is about $3500

Here is a list of the items I am planing on re-using from my existing build

MB: Asus C6H
CPU WB: EKWB Evo Full Copper (AM3 Mount), 280mmx45mm RAD, HeatKiller Res and Swiftech MCP655 Pump.
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W
M2-SSD: Samsung 960Pro 512GB
Storage: WD Black 2TB
Display: 27" 1440p 165hz Display
KB/Mouse: keep my 14yr old M$ Razor and super cheap M$ mouse.

After having my CoolerMaster HAF-X Case for 2 builds/upgrades, I've decided to get a new case, I am thinking of this case:

LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL

https://www.newegg.ca/black-lian-li-o11 ... _-Product

I like that it'll have space for a lot of upgrades in the future and with the built in I/O I'm future-proof for the next 5-8 years I'd hope.

CPU for now I'm planing the Ryzen x3700x.. if the 4xxx series come out, I'll go there and may have to upgrade the MB/CPU WB if I go there...

https://www.newegg.ca/amd-ryzen-7-3700x ... -_-Product

for GPU I'm waiting on the next iteration of the RTX3xxx series GPU's. if there is a 3080Ti then I'll jump on to that. give me a good 5 year use on the GPU and future proof on the games that I play.

I'm thinking of adding another rad and possibly add a WB on the GPU and create a cool and quite PC.

I'd also need proper fans (looking for recommendations on this), right now I've just been using shitty cheapies that I have.. I'm thinking Noctua or Fractal pressure fans.

What are your thoughts?

Vin

Mr-Scott

Re: WIfeWillCutmyNutzOff the Third

Unread post by Mr-Scott »

I think you're bored from staying home for the last 2 months.
However, I'm all for the upgrade. :lol:
Loved by thousands, hated by millions.

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

Mr-Scott wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:33 pm
I think you're bored from staying home for the last 2 months.
However, I'm all for the upgrade. :lol:
I won't argue that.

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

I've decided to hold on the major upgrade in waiting for AMD's 4xxx CPU and nVidia's RTX3xxx GPU... I know it's going to be late this year. I'll be in the bleeding edge again in tech.

I will still be going with a case/cooling upgrade on my existing and hope to starting on some of that in the next few months. I'd like to upgrade the storage (m.2 RAID0) for Windows install as well and have a SATA RAID0 with some 120GB drives that I have for a linux boot. I've been trying to get back to Linux for a few years now.

Right now I haven' been able to setup my RAID array of SSD's for Linux because RAID wasn't enabled in the Bios when I installed Win10 and when I enabled RAID it broke my install of Win10. The Win7 fix for changing/updating the SATA/RAID driver didn't work for me... So I'm still on the original install of Win10 (2-3 years ago?) with a update failure and restore.

I've just been dreading that as I can't recall half my passwords so I see a lot of password recovery emails coming... lol

Vin

CaNNon
Site Admin

Unread post by CaNNon »

I've just been dreading that as I can't recall half my passwords so I see a lot of password recovery emails coming... lol
I'm in the same boat, just crashed Ubuntu upgrading to 20.04. Got pretty lax with the backup shit as I haven't crashed it since ver 7 :oops:

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

Here is a temporary upgrade. Got it at a good price and had help getting it from the US to me.

Was noted as an Asus 1080Ti, I didn't know it was a Strix Gaming... same card I already had.. I'm a happy camper...

I took it apart and cleaned it up... it was pretty dusty.. re-tim'd the GPU core and it's sitting in the bottom slot. I have it them folding right now so that's why the power/temp limit is lowered to help keep temps in check.

1080Ti SLI1.png
1080Ti SLI1.png (485.51 KiB) Viewed 32597 times
Vin

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

Whoa with the release of the 3000 series GPU I am so happy I waited to pull the trigger on this upgrade...

will be planing on the 3080 or 3090 series GPU.. with this I've decided that I'm upgrading the MB and won't be keeping it. that means I'll have to upgrade the waterblocks and get in to that gear now...

will be upgrading my PSU as well as my 1300w EVGA G2... I'm sure it'll be tired and I can use that PSU on my bench/test table...

will anyone here be upgrading?

Vin

Komadyret

Unread post by Komadyret »

Kid is still on the fence...waiting. He's determined to wait out the release of the desktop AMD 4-series. I envy him the patience, but I have a hunch he'll not be regretting that decision.
And the Nvidia 30-series looks insanely good. At a killer price level. It looks like the 3070 will potentially be the equal of the 2080, and at considerably lower price.
Exciting times, for sure!

Koma

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

correction, the 3070 will outperform the 2080Ti... you're right though, good on him for waiting.

I'm going to go 3080 or 3090 depending on performance boost to price ratio. I have no plan on an 8k display anytime soon... but the 3090 if I get that is for future proofing. Have the cash now, go for it...

I am thinking 5 years+ on this system...

I've already picked up an EVGA 1200W Platinum PSU, was a good price.

I'm going to be pulling the trigger on the GPU, and Case in Oct/Nov.

I hope the 4xxx series AMD will be announced and will be getting that to upgrade my 1700x/X370 CPU/MB.. going with that though, I'll have to upgrade my CPU WB as I only have an AM3 bracket and I'm assuming the internal distribution plate of the block will be different. I'm also wanting to watercool the GPU eventually, not sure if I'll dual loop and do a triple rad cooling loop.

I've started a PC/cost calculator and it's sitting near the $5K mark as I'll likely be getting everything new and not re-using anything...

Vin

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

Seems early October AMD will be talking about the Zen3 (4xxx) series processors. This falls right in line with my purchasing strategy.. I would love to be using this system by December and Christmas at the latest...

Seeing the nVidia 3080 and 3090 GPU's on youtube and them not powering them up and showing them run because of NDA's is driving me nuts... the click-bait factor is huge...

Vin